Peace River Historic Sites & Interpretive Centres
Sgt. Anderson's Cabin
Sgt. K.F. Anderson of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police patrolled the Lesser Slave Lake and Peace River areas virtually alone at the end of the 19th century. His cabin, used intermittently while Anderson delivered mail along with justice while on month-long journeys, is preserved outside the Town of Peace River.
St. Mary's on the Peace
Established in 1818, this historic fort was the property of the venerable Hudson's Bay Co. It served as shelter, protection, a trading post and meeting place.
The Dunvegan Provincial Park & Historic Site
The Dunvegan Provincial Park & Historic Site, located on the north bank of Peace River, offers a glimpse into missionary life and the fur trade dating back to 1805. Tour the St. Charles Mission and Hudson Bay Factorís House or drop by the Visitorís Centre. Day use area and campground facilities are available with universal access. A boat launch is situated on the south side of the river, beside the vehicular suspension bridge. Open May to September. Call 835-2490 or 864-2266 for more information.